Friday, October 30, 2009

Scene - Lexi, sitting in the bathroom, Halloween costume on for a trial run, staring at her reflection in the mirror with a not so happy expression.

Lexi (brow furrowed): Hmmm.....I look bad.....like an evil fairy.....

Me (think fast, tread lightly): ummm..... It's Halloween so maybe that's ok?

Lexi : I look like the bad fairy on Tinkerbell and she's not nice at all.

Me : ?? She wears red....doesn't she? Well.....I don't think you look evil. I think you look beautiful! Anyways, do you think that there are only fairies out during the day?

Lexi: ......no......


Me: Don't you think that maybe there are fairies that come out at night too?

Lexi (looking skeptical, but interested): Hmm......yeah, I guess so.

Me: Well, if they only come out at night, they are probably doing some super secret, important fairy stuff and don't want to be seen. If they wore any other colour but black then everyone could see them. I think you look just like a night fairy!

Lexi (barely able to contain her excitement): Wow!!! I'm a night fairy......princess!!!!



***

And that is how to rationalize with a 4 year old. Although I believe the key element is luck and I truly have no idea what I would have done if she hadn't followed along with that train of thought.


2009 11 05_0225








No comments: