Wednesday, December 30, 2009

passive-agressive ranting

Dear ____________

Normally I'm a fairly easy going, live and let live kind of girl. I don't usually get upset over small things and, even when bothered, I don't generally say anything. I prefer to give things a day or two to see if it really matters or not. Apparently, this time, it does. The other day I was offended. Disturbed enough that I lost sleep over the matter.....for 2 nights. I'm not sure if the stress of the holiday season has made me overly sensitive or if its because I expected better from you all. You are educated, intelligent people. I am disappointed.

Addressing your kids affectionately with the monikers of Short-bus and Special ed is no more appropriate than giving them nicknames containing racial slurs. Using that kind of language is not funny, it's not cute. It is inconsiderate and just plain ignorant. As the parent of a courageous little girl who qualifies for that particular club, I was hurt. Over the last year and half I have become very familiar with many kids with significant and varying medical needs, most would be considered card-carrying members and all have more heart, resilience and tenacity than I have ever seen in a person. These kids endure more than any person should ever have to. Using that kind of language "in fun" is demeaning to them.

I truly hope that you will reconsider the nicknames that you have chosen for your children but if not I make this request: Every time that you address one of your "normal" daughters by Special ed or Short-bus, please take a moment to give thanks. Be thankful that, thus far, you have been allowed to remain naive and sheltered. Be thankful that, in the grand scheme of things, your little girls have enjoyed relatively good health.

Your children have the only thing that many of us want for our own sweet kids, a future. Don't take that for granted.



1 comment:

♥Jess♥ said...

Good points. :)