Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Yesterday we had Chinese for lunch and after cracking open the requisite fortune cookie, this little gem fell out. Normally, Trent and I tack on "in bed" to the sentence, giggle at the resulting phrase (because we are mature like that) and go on with our day. This time, the fortune was met with silence. Trent has not told his family. None of them....which is exceedingly awkward as his father is currently renting out our basement. It's not that we don't want to keep them informed but more like we are simply not prepared to deal with the aftermath that will surely follow. Last summer when Tatyanna started to have a significant number of seizures of differing types, Trent's mom and sister would frequently call us in tears demanding to know why we weren't doing more. It was extremely upsetting and the conversations could sometimes take well over an hour. Trent has long been the anchor in his family. He is their rock. When one of them has a problem Trent is the one that is called, with the hope that he can fix the problem or offer some sort of needed insight. While I appreciate that they are such a closely knit family, this is one situation where Trent's needs must come first. He can't be the one who is consoling his family. I can see how everything is draining him already and I am truly afraid at what is to follow. Bad news travels fast and it is only a matter of time before they find out in some completely inappropriate way.
***
On a sort of unrelated note, I've got to say that I'm truly speechless at the sheer number of encouraging notes and offers of support that I have received over the last few days from all over the world. I can not begin to express what it means to me. Thank you all so very much.

No comments: