Sunday, February 01, 2009

She sat on my lap, body nestled against mine, dark eyes wide in the waning light of the day. The room around her was in a relative state of chaos with moving boxes stacked in precarious towers against the wall and the remainders of a hastily consumed meal strewn over the counter tops. That's when I noticed it. Something so small that it was barely perceptible. If I had been a different parent in a different time, I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. As the room grew increasingly dim, her eyes had more and more difficulty trying to focus. The pupils would constrict and then dilate, trying desperately to hang on to a view that was proving elusive.
With a sinking feeling, I was reminded once again, exactly why we were making this move in the first place.

No comments: